Sunday, November 30, 2008

Outdoors




The hills are covered in white again and there was snow on the ground at our altitude two mornings in a row. This morning we went for a nice walk on the Atalaya Mountain trail near St. John's College. The trail begins along an arroyo then climbs through pinyon juniper forest on pink granite hillsides. There are great views of the city and mountains as you go up. On the way home we bought a car load of pinyon and juniper firewood from one of the many vendors along the side of the road. They seem to have replaced the rock vendors mostly this time of year.

Last night arriving home from seeing "Quantum of Solace" (not one of the better Bond movies), there was a woodcock right by the front door! It was polite enough to wait while I went inside and got my camera. The bird book says they only go as far west as TX, but I guess this one has strayed from the proscribed range.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

are you kidding me? a woodcock??? I have yet to see one here in there home territory!!!

Mary Anne said...

Did anyone tell you about the lobster caught in our waters recently?

Sylvan said...

No, I didn't hear about the lobster!