Thursday, January 15, 2009




Just so you know that I am always working, I include this photo of me in front of the Santiago Chile law school. Uh huh, always hard at work. The other picture is of a Chilean $20,000 note. I have always been amused by countries that had currencies so inflated that their bills had huge denominations. This $20,000 note is a fair bit of money, about US $33, but pretty amusing. It is also amusing when the ATM machine asks how much you would like to withdraw? $200,000? $400,000? $600,000? Sure! I'll take that! Also amusing to this economist are the prices and paying for things. The taxi from the bus station in Valparaiso was CH$4,800! What? Are you kidding!?! Oh, that's only US $8. No problem. Everything here costs about 1/2 as much, which I am not quite accustomed to yet. Last night we went to a fancy Valpo (that's the slang for Valparaiso, apparently)restaurant for hors d'oeuvres and wine around 7:00 p.m. -- dinner usually at 10:00 p.m. so . . . Anyway, the waiter recommended a bottle of wine, which we OK'd without looking at the price. It occurred to me that the bill might be a little higher than expected at this beautiful place with great service and a view of all of the Valparaiso harbor, but it turned out to be less that $15 total for food and wine. Not bad at all.

No comments: