Friday, February 6, 2009

Where Machines Go to Die and Yuppies Drink Coffee



Finally, one of us got back to the gym after three weeks on the road. This place is pretty beat up, though not the worst gym I looked at. Has a nice friendly welcoming look, doesn't! Like everyone else in Mendoza, the people are very friendly, so it is working out fine. It has cracked linoleum floors and peeling paint (where there is any paint at all). The machines are so old that they are held together with climbing rope. It truly is where gym equipment goes to die. But, it works.
By contrast, our barrio coffee shop is as yuppified as a Starbucks. (That's me looking supercilious (wired after a double espresso?).) The place has really good pastries. Every coffee shop has a "special" of a coffee and two "fracturas," which might be small (very sweet) croisant-type thingees,but at the Caffe Latte are much higher end -- and delicious. I never thought I'd develop a habit of drinking an espresso at 8:00 p.m. It doesn't affect my sleep because we frequently get to bed after midnight.

1 comment:

luis said...

jajajjajaja . The word that you referred to as "fracture", to mention the pastries you ate in Mendoza, is in fact "facturas"
"Fracture" is breakage, such as when one breaks an arm or a leg.
Sorry, but my English is very clumsy too. I´m glad you had met
Bariloche. In my opinion the most beautiful place in Argentina.
I send a big greeting for you.
Luis
Buenos Aires