Sunday, June 15, 2008

Luxembourg to Paris




I like Luxembourg, mostly for the deep valley, lush, green, and old, that separates its neighborhoods. If I had to live in Luxembourg, I can easily imagine a modern apartment in an old building down there. I also like it for the solid character of its oldest parts and of the European Community parts – the Court of Justice buildings are very nicely constructed. Sylvan undoubtedly will describe the food, which was great, and added to my enjoyment of the place.
We left the students behind when we departed for Paris this morning. They were, without exception, a pleasant and enjoyable group, as Seton Hall students very often are. Traveling with them to and from Leuven to Brussels and ultimately to Luxembourg could not have been easier. After every lecture, I think “that was the last lecture of my career.” Well, we’ll see. I almost always enjoy every class, so the thought of an occasional class doesn’t sound like the end of the world.
Heading to Paris also seems like going home, in a bizarre way. I suppose it is at least as much home as Santa Fe, where this phase of the journey will end. After many past visits, Paris is familiar and I know where I like to get a good chocolate croissant, salad, pizza, bench.
In Paris now, and it does feel like home. Wonderful strolling as always. In case no one noticed, this is a business trip and we are constantly expressing our appreciation to Seton Hall and toasting the Archbishop of Newark with excellent Champagne to demonstrate that appreciation. To demonstrate that this is in fact all business, I would like to mention that we went to the Sorbonne yesterday, observed a street demonstration (call this a study of law in action, free speech, or, as it happens, an exposure to some public policy issues related to immigration reform). And to prove our serious attention to business, you will see a picture of me in front of the Sorbonne Law School. And we spent some time sitting by the river -- equal time photo of Sylvan attached.

No comments: